Great Keppel Island is located off the coast of the port city of Rockhampton in the Capricorn Region of Queensland. It is one of the islands of the Great Barrier Reef and falls under the protection of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
A quick 30 minute plane or boat charter gets you here from the mainland. There is so much to see and do on Great Keppel Island as well as the port city of Rockhampton. When you are travelling to and around Rockhampton, you should hire your own vehicle from Budget Rent a Car Rockhampton so that you can get around at your leisure and on your own schedule. If you choose, you can make an east coast road trip out of it and even visit other Queensland cities that are also port cities to the Great Barrier Reef.
Things to do on Great Keppel Island
So what is there to do on Great Keppel Island? The beautiful island is rich with nature including over 100 species of birds; among them, the famed kookaburra. Of course, the waters surrounding the island are filled with precious corals, brightly coloured tropical fish, and plenty of other marine life just waiting to be explored. On land, you will find 17 pristine, white sand beaches and a variety of accommodations from campsites to comfortable cottages to the luxury resort. Here are 5 things to do on Great Keppel Island:
- Snorkelling: Of course, when you are this close to the magnificent Coral Sea and staying right on the Great Barrier Reef, you have to get into it and experience it up close. Swim among the creatures and coral that make the reef so special.
- Water Sports: A host of watersports are available to you while on the island choose from boating, sailing, motorised canoe rides or stand up paddle boarding.
- Resort Activities: The resort and accommodations on the island provide a variety of fun activities to do including swimming pools, tennis, golf, skydiving, paraflying, and camel rides. Plus, there are restaurants, bars, a night club, and spas to spend some time in while you are on the island.
- Great Barrier Reef Excursions: Since the Great Barrier Reef is the focus of this holiday, spend as much time as you can on it, exploring the protected beauty that is the reef. From Great Keppel Island, you can go on one of many different reef excursions whether you choose from an afternoon in a glass bottom boat ride or a luxury yacht. You can even go an overnight cruise on the reef.
- Nothing! One of the best things to do on an island paradise in the middle of the bright blue Coral Sea is nothing! Sit back, relax, put your toes in the sand, and enjoy a cool, frosty beverage while you bask in the sun and listen to the waves around you.
Things to Do in Rockhampton
While on the Capricorn Coast of Queensland, even though the focus is likely to be visiting the Great Barrier Reef, don’t ignore the beautiful city of Rockhampton. You will be able to visit some of the local national parks like bushwalking in Mount Archer National Park or cave exploring in Mt. Etna Caves National Park. You can also explore the Capricorn Caves, sail on the Fitzroy River, learn about the Aboriginal culture and history of this land on a cultural tour, and dine on some local beef since Rockhampton is the beef capital of Australia. If you want to see and learn about crocodiles, visit Koorana Crocodile Farm with more than 3,000 “residents” from newly hatched newborns to the ¾ tonne giant. Koorana is Queensland’s only crocodile farm and offers daily tours.